Sunday, April 11, 2010

Happy Spring!

I'm sorry that it has been so long since I have written. I can never thank you enough for all your prayers and support through this incredible year. It was a year ago on March 26th that I was diagnosed with cancer. Today I can say with much gratitude that I am in remission!!

There are a few remaining issues to deal with. I am on heart medication and will see the cardiologist on April 30th. I am praying that my ejection fraction will improve and I can go back on the herceptin. If not, I will find out what the next step is. My wound is still being packed and I will be seeing the surgeon soon to find out when we can finish that. I'm stiff on my left side so I need to stretch every day. The neuropathy in my toes is still a bother but seems to be getting a little better. I also need to go back to the lymphedema therapist and start working on reducing that.

During my spring break I finally began to feel much more like myself. I was able to things that I haven't done in a year and it was great! I decided to free myself of the wig which I have had since last June. My hair is VERY short but it feels wonderful. There were lots of surprised looks and comments about my "hair cut". My little friend Machai said, "Wow, you're hair is really short!" I said,"Well I wanted to look like you". He replied, "You look great!" I just love those kids.

Dan came in to visit this weekend. We shared many stories of Butler's run for the NCAA National championship. He was able to go to the last two games. What fun!
Emily got her contract renewed for next year at Downers Grove North. She loves teaching there and is glad the stressful waiting time is over.

I will blog again after I see the cardiologist at the end of the month. I would also like to ask you to keep my friend and colleague, Terri, in your prayers. She is fighting AML, a form of luekemia. We really miss her at school.

Thanks again for all you have done to help me get through this unexpectedly difficult year. You are the best!

Love,

Karen

3 comments:

  1. No...YOU'RE the best, Karen!
    So glad to hear you are in remission!!
    Even though you still have some obstacles to overcome, this is the best news yet.
    Really think you look adorable with you hairdo!
    Now let's send our energies to Terri...
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, this is such good news! I am so happy to hear that you are feeling more like yourself and that you are standing in the light at the end of the tunnel! Our prayers continue to be with you as you round the bend to the finish line. Enjoy this great weather!!!!!
    Love, Karen M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update, and yes we will continue to keep you and Terri in our thoughts and prayers. LOve, Nancy

    ReplyDelete